If my feet don't hurt, should I still check them every day?

Yes, you should examine your feet at the end of each day to be certain that there are no sores, cuts, or areas where your shoe is rubbing against your foot. People with diabetes may lose pain sensation in their feet, so they may develop ulcers and open sores and not notice it because they can't feel the pain.

Without medical attention, sores may continue to be irritated and not heal properly. Although your healthcare team should examine your feet at each visit, you need to be on the lookout for any small areas of redness or blood.

Special shoes can be made for you if your feet are difficult to fit. Always wear socks or stockings to provide padding between your feet and your shoes. The longer a patient has diabetes, the more common foot problems are. Preventing foot sores is much easier than trying to heal them.