If I have diabetes, how can I lower my risk of heart attack?

If you have diabetes you can lower your risk of heart attack with the following:
  • Lifestyle changes. Diet and exercise will play a large role, as maintaining a proper weight and increasing your cardiovascular endurance will lower your heart attack risk.
  • Medication. Your doctor may prescribe a statin medication to lower your cholesterol and daily aspirin therapy.
  • Quit smoking. If you smoke it is imperative that you quit as smoking significantly increases your risk of a heart attack.
Jonathan Roberts, MD, an interventional cardiologist at Baptist Cardiac & Vascular Institute, says that maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle and taking medications, if needed, to control cholesterol and triglyceride levels and blood pressure will lower the risk of a heart attack in diabetes patients. “No smoking, optimize weight, exercise and get a screening for coronary disease,” adds Abbe Rosenbaum, MD, a cardiologist at South Miami Heart Center.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications