How can I slow aging if I have diabetes?

Sharine Forbes
Geriatric Medicine
Adopting a healthier lifestyle, along with following the medical plan developed by your medical professional, is essential in improving your overall health outcome. I would recommend eating healthier, ie lots of fruits and vegetable, little to no fat, and some sort of water aerobics could be of great benefit to you.
Diabetics should take the following steps to stay young:

1. Find a doctor who is a specialist in diabetes and will work with you to have tight control of your diabetes and no aging from your diabetes.

2. Prioritize yourself in your daily schedule. That means that you should not postpone your walk because of a deadline, but make sure the deadlines you accept take into account that your will walk every day.

3. Reduce your blood pressure to 115/75 mmHg by whatever means possible.

4. Start doing all three forms of physical activity (stretching, strength-building exercise, and stamina-building exercise, first by walking thirty minutes a day, every day, no excuses.

5. After you have been walking for thirty days, go on the RealAge (physiologic age) diet (limiting four-legged fats but having monounsaturated fats and eating fish, nuts, fruits, vegetables, tomatoes, fiber, and a little alcohol every day) and reward yourself by buying a new set of nine-inch plates for portion control.

6. After thirty days of walking every day, add strength training for ten to twenty minutes every other day.

7. After sixty days of walking and thirty days of strength training, start doing stamina activity for thirty minutes three times a week.

8. Add fruits, vegetables, fish, and whole grains to your diet and be sure to have nuts, olive oil, or some other healthy fat eight minutes before you eat. Avoid all simple sugars from your diet.

9. Add monounsaturated fat and eliminate saturated and trans fats from your diet.

10. Learn how to measure your blood sugar levels and blood pressure and keep them normal.

11. Find a job that doesn't stress you or raise your blood pressure, or learn to manage the stress your job does cause.

12. Work with your mate or find a partner who will work with you on keeping yourself young so your diabetes doesn't age you.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications