Q

Diabetes Complications

How does high blood pressure affect diabetes?

• A answered

Nearly one in three Americans has high blood pressure, or hypertension, a state in which your blood pressure levels are above 140/90. High blood pressure means your heart is working harder than it should to pump blood throughout your body. Hypertension doesn't cause diabetes, but high blood pressure is often a sign of diabetes. The good news is many of the same steps that can help you prevent diabetes (e.g., exercising and eating right) can also stave off or lower high blood pressure.

Take the RealAge Test!

• A , Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism, answered
    High blood pressure doesn’t do much to affect diabetes directly if the main measure is blood sugar control. But diabetes and high blood pressure are both major risk factors for coronary artery disease -- the kind of heart disease that leads to heart attacks -- and the effects of the two are greater than simply adding up the risk of each one separately. As a result, blood pressure control is even more critical in people with diabetes than in those without diabetes, because the risk of heart disease with both problems is so great.  
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Having high blood pressure can really magnify the effects of diabetes by aging your arteries -- both high blood pressure and high blood sugar cause nicks or holes in the arteries' walls. Aged arteries then would lack the ability to deliver blood supply to certain key areas, like the heart, brain, penis, and clitoris. And that leads to the possibility of causing heart attacks, strokes, impotence, and decline of orgasm quality.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I control my blood pressure if I have diabetes?