How does diabetic ketoacidosis develop?

Ketoacidosis (diabetic coma) develops when your body doesn't have enough insulin. Without insulin, your body can't use glucose for fuel, so your body breaks down fats to use for energy.

When your body breaks down fats, waste products called ketones are produced. Your body cannot tolerate large amounts of ketones and will try to get rid of them through the urine. Unfortunately, the body cannot release all the ketones and they build up in your blood, which can lead to ketoacidosis.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
How can I check if I have diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
If you have diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), you have lost the ability to metabolize sugar and are using...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?