How can I check if I have diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA)?

If you have diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA), you have lost the ability to metabolize sugar and are using fat as an energy source. The result is extremely high blood sugars and acid in the blood. Your symptoms might include dehydration, nausea, abdominal pain and confusion. When your body is using fat instead of glucose for energy, ketones are produced. Some meters can check for serum ketones. Also, ketones in the urine can be checked using test strips. If these tests are positive, you have too much acid in your blood, and you have DKA.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
What is focal neuropathy in people with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Focal neuropathy (nerve damage) affects a nerve or group of nerves causing sudden weakness or pain. ...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?