How should I take care of dry skin on my feet if I have diabetes?

Diabetes can cause changes in the skin of your foot. At times your foot may become very dry. The skin may peel and crack. The problem is that the nerves that control the oil and moisture in your foot no longer work.

After bathing, dry your feet and seal in the remaining moisture with a thin coat of plain petroleum jelly, an unscented hand cream, or other such products. Do not put oils or creams between your toes. The extra moisture can lead to infection. Also, don't soak your feet -- that can dry your skin.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
How is low testosterone treated in men with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have type 2 diabetes, you are twice as likely to suffer from low testosterone as a man withou...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?