How can I adequately care for my feet if I can't reach my toes?

Many people with diabetes have difficulty seeing their feet well and trimming their toenails. The reasons for this problem are many, including poor eyesight, obesity, arthritis, back pain, and other medical conditions that may prevent you from leaning over toward the floor. Have a member of your family examine your feet once a day for sores and nail problems. We recommend that most people with diabetes do not try to cut their own toenails, but go regularly to a podiatrist for routine foot care.

Podiatrists are trained to provide good foot hygiene and nail care. They can be located in the Yellow Pages under Physicians & Surgeons, DPM (Podiatric), or ask your health care team for a referral. Good foot care is extremely important to your good health. It may save your feet.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
Why should I avoid smoking if I have diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Diabetes doesn't do most of us in. Heart attacks do. Remember that diabetes is a huge risk facto...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?