Is a diabetic coma treated differently than other types of coma?

A diabetic coma is treated according to the cause of the coma. If blood sugar is too low, glucose will be administered intravenously, along with thiamin to avoid complications from a sudden influx of sugar. If the blood sugar levels are too high, you will be given insulin, and minerals like potassium and sodium to restore cell function. Total consciousness is usually restored with these treatments.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
Are my erection problems related to my diabetes?
Sangtae Park, MDSangtae Park, MD
Yes.  In addition to increasing age, smoking status, poorly controlled high blood pressure, diabetes...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?