How can I manage my diabetes to prevent the risk of heart diseases?

I can manage my diabetes to prevent the risk of heart disease by exercising and controlling my diet. As I lose weight and control my blood sugars, my hemoglobin A1c, which is a measure of my sugars over a three-month average, will improve. As I protect my body by using the medications doctors will give for high blood pressure, hyper cholesterol, and kidney protection and for controlling of the diabetes, we can slow down the progression of the atherosclerosis or damage to our heart vessels as well as to our brain, kidneys and legs. This will allow us to continue to exercise and will give us a better chance to control our sugars. Well-controlled diabetics in today's time do incredibly well and can prevent heart attacks for years to come by paying attention to their diabetes and being disciplined in their exercise and diet.

Gerald Bernstein, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
There are 2 considerations in preventing heart disease in diabetes. First is early detection, especially Prediabetes, which has cardiac risk even before clinical diabetes begins. Second, once the blood glucose is above normal it behaves as a toxic agent, just like lead. Among its effects is to alter the functions of nerves, muscles, small blood vessels and the cholesterol cascade. Secondarily the large vessels like the ones serving the brain, legs and heart become clogged with abnormal lipids resulting in heart attacks and strokes. Just like a seat belt you can reduce your risk for all of this by controlling your blood glucose, lipids and blood pressure and maintain an A1c hemoglobin in the desired range(usually less than 7).
Hoyee Chan, MD

To manage diabetes to prevent the risk of heart disease:

1. Advise low fat, low cholesterol and low carbohydrates diet, and regular aerobic exercise, about 30-45 mins 4-5x/week.
  2. Maintain Hgb A1c (the blood tests for average blood sugar for past 3 months) at least less than 7.0.
  3. Maintain Bad cholesterol (LDL) <70, Good cholesterol (HDL) >40, Triglycerides <150.
  4. Take a baby aspirin daily if there is no contraindications.

Discuss with your doctors how to achieve the above goals.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
How can diabetic foot pain be treated?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Diabetic foot pain can be treated in many ways, such as oral medications, topical treatments, and na...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?