Are my erection problems related to my diabetes?

Yes.  In addition to increasing age, smoking status, poorly controlled high blood pressure, diabetes is a leading cause of erectile dysfunction.  Please see your physician to get your diabetes under good control in order to prevent worsening of erectile dysfunction.  This is due to diabetes negative effect on the small blood vessels that serve the penis for erections.

Quite possibly, but maybe not. Millions of men who don't have diabetes still have trouble getting and keeping an erection. The causes may be physical or psychological or both. Still, problems with erections are more common in men with diabetes, and the causes are usually physical. Diabetes can affect the nerves and the blood vessels that control erections. Ask your doctor to help you identify what could be causing your erection problems. In addition to blood vessel and nerve damage, your doctor might talk to you about the possibility that depression or drinking too much alcohol could be contributing to your problems. They might even be a side effect of a medication you're taking.

There are many treatments available, such as improving blood glucose control, taking medications such as Viagra that make it easier to get and keep an erection, or using devices designed to do the same thing. Devices include simple elastic rings that prevent blood from flowing back out of the penis (and thereby prevent losing the erection) to penile implants that require surgery.

Ask your primary care provider for a referral to a physician who specializes in diagnosing and treating erection problems. Usually this will be a urologist.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
How can I prevent heart disease if I have diabetes?
Dr. Ronald Tamler, MDDr. Ronald Tamler, MD
Keeping cholesterol and blood pressure under control is key to preventing heart disease when you hav...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?