What is childhood disintegrative disorder (CDD)?

Children with childhood disintegrative disorder (CDD) develop normally until they’re three or four (sometimes older) but then dramatically regress, losing language, social, and self-help skills, including loss of bowel and bladder control, and may also develop seizures. Eventually, the child may display autistic characteristics, including mental retardation. CDD is very rare and the least common form of autism spectrum disorder (ASD).

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Developmental Disorders

What is a developmental delay?
Development refers to changes over time, and in children it refers to changes in thought, behavi...
What are developmental disabilities?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one in six children in the ...
How Is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Diagnosed?
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids