How do I manage my child's mental retardation on a daily basis?

Daily management of a child with mental retardation is based on the child's individual health plan. You may need to administer medication, provide transportation to and from doctor's visits and special education facilities, and offer support to your child as they work to maximize their capabilities.

Be sure to communicate with your child's professional medical team and to follow the suggested exercises and management techniques.

Most children do best when living at home, however some disabilities may require more care than your family is able to provide. A social worker can help you arrange for assistance in your home, daycare, and other support.

Continue Learning about Developmental Disorders

Developmental Disorders

Developmental Disorders

When a child is born with a developmental disability, sometimes called a birth defect, it means there is a chronic condition that will be a life-long challenge. Down syndrome; autism; and language, learning, vision or hearing prob...

lems are a few developmental disabilities. While these disabilities are typically present at birth, they can begin at any time up to age 22.