What is developmental receptive language disorder?

Some people have trouble understanding certain aspects of speech. It's as if their brains are set to a different frequency and the reception is poor. There's the toddler who doesn't respond to his name, a preschooler who hands you a bell when you asked for a ball, or the worker who consistently can't follow simple directions. Their hearing is fine, but they can't make sense of certain sounds, words, or sentences they hear. They may even seem inattentive. These people have a receptive language disorder. Because using and understanding speech are strongly related, many people with receptive language disorders also have an expressive language disability.
Of course, in preschoolers, some misuse of sounds, words, or grammar is a normal part of learning to speak. It's only when these problems persist that there is any cause for concern.

Continue Learning about Developmental Disorders

What are developmental disabilities?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one in six children in the ...
What should I do if my child shows signs of developmental delay?
Parents should voice their concerns and observations to their child's physician when development...
Why Do Some People with Autism Have Both Developmental Disorders and Remarkable Abilities?
Are the Current Diagnostic Tests for Autism Accurate?