How can I tell if my child has a speech delay?

If something doesn't quite feel right, see if your child has any of these speech delay characteristics. The basic rules of thumb are that a child should be saying at least one word (however unclearly) by twelve months of age; at least twenty words by eighteen months; and putting two words together with a vocabulary of fifty words by twenty-four months. Another guideline is that a stranger should be able to understand 50 percent of what a two-year-old is saying, 75 percent of what a three-year-old is saying, and almost all of what a four-year-old is saying.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Developmental Disorders

Developmental Disorders

Developmental Disorders

When a child is born with a developmental disability, sometimes called a birth defect, it means there is a chronic condition that will be a life-long challenge. Down syndrome; autism; and language, learning, vision or hearing prob...

lems are a few developmental disabilities. While these disabilities are typically present at birth, they can begin at any time up to age 22.