Malathion (Ovide) lotion, a prescription medication, kills live head lice and can kill some lice eggs (also called nits). After treating your child's hair and scalp with malathion, use a fine-toothed comb to remove the dead lice and their eggs from his hair. After you treat his scalp with malathion, use the comb to check his hair for lice every two or three days. If you find live lice seven to nine days after his malathion treatment, repeat the treatment.
- Q If malathion treatment isn't working, should I repeat it over and over?
- Q Does malathion interact with other medications or food?
- Q Can I use malathion to kill lice on other parts of my body besides my head?
- Q Is it true that malathion lotion can catch fire?
- Q What should I do if it stings a lot when I put malathion on my head?
- Q Why can't I use a hair dryer on my child's hair after applying malathion?