Malathion (Ovide) lotion, a prescription medication, kills live head lice and can kill some lice eggs (also called nits). After treating your child's hair and scalp with malathion, use a fine-toothed comb to remove the dead lice and their eggs from his hair. After you treat his scalp with malathion, use the comb to check his hair for lice every two or three days. If you find live lice seven to nine days after his malathion treatment, repeat the treatment.
- Q Must my child's hair be dry when I apply malathion to kill head lice?
- Q How many times can I repeat the malathion treatment to get rid of lice?
- Q Why can't I drink alcohol when I'm on methadone?
- Q If I use malathion to kill head lice, will I have to repeat it?
- Q If all of my children get head lice, can I treat them all with malathion?
- Q Can I treat my 4-year-old child with malathion to get rid of his head lice?