Malathion (Ovide) lotion, a prescription medication, kills live head lice and can kill some lice eggs (also called nits). After treating your child's hair and scalp with malathion, use a fine-toothed comb to remove the dead lice and their eggs from his hair. After you treat his scalp with malathion, use the comb to check his hair for lice every two or three days. If you find live lice seven to nine days after his malathion treatment, repeat the treatment.
- Q Must my child's hair be dry when I apply malathion to kill head lice?
- Q If all of my children get head lice, can I treat them all with malathion?
- Q Is it true that malathion lotion can catch fire?
- Q Does malathion interact with other medications or food?
- Q What are the side effects of malathion?
- Q Why can't I use a hair dryer on my child's hair after applying malathion?