How is topical urea used in skin care?

Topical urea can be used to treat a range of skin and nail conditions. Urea is effective at relieving dry, scaly or rough skin that can result from conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis and calluses. Urea acts as a debriding agent; when applied to the skin, it breaks down dead skin and pus and removes hard, scaly skin. It also helps to moisturize and soften skin. There are a variety of topical products containing urea, including creams, lotions and foams. Both prescription and non-prescription (over-the-counter) versions are available. Talk to your doctor to determine whether a topical urea product will work for you.

Continue Learning about Dermatological Agent

Why You Should Steer Clear of Triclosan
Why You Should Steer Clear of Triclosan
What do credit cards, hockey helmets, kids’ toys, trashcans, toothpaste, deodorants and shaving creams have in common? They could all contain triclosa...
What should I know before taking a direct vasodilator?
If you have known or suspected coronary artery disease, hydralazine may not be a good option for you...
What should I know before using topical corticosteroids?
If you have an immune system problem or are undergoing immunosuppressive therapy, a topical corticos...
How are benzodiazepines used to treat insomnia?
Benzodiazepines are sedative drugs that are often used to treat anxiety. Benzodiazepines that are FD...