What is ethyl chloride?

Ethyl chloride is a topical anesthetic in the form of a cooling spray that is applied directly to the skin to prevent pain from needles, minor surgeries, sports injuries and to relieve deep muscle pain. It is a vapocoolant that is applied directly to the skin. For injection sites, your doctor will spray the area of pain (which will turn white) until numb, and then carry on with the medical procedure. For deep muscle pain, ethyl chloride is sprayed until the entire area of pain is covered, making it possible to stretch the muscle until full motion returns.

Continue Learning about Dermatological Agent

Why You Should Steer Clear of Triclosan
Why You Should Steer Clear of Triclosan
What do credit cards, hockey helmets, kids’ toys, trashcans, toothpaste, deodorants and shaving creams have in common? They could all contain triclosa...
What should I know before taking a direct vasodilator?
If you have known or suspected coronary artery disease, hydralazine may not be a good option for you...
What other medications interact with topical calcineurin inhibitors?
If you are taking mifepristone, you should not use topical tacrolimus. If you are taking another CYP...
What should I know before taking benzodiazepines?
If you have thoughts of suicide, a benzodiazepine may not be a good option for you. If you take a b...