What should I know about neomycin and bacitracin before I use it?

Before using neomycin and bacitracin, you should be aware of the following safety information:
  • Allergic reactions to this medication are more likely if you have had previous allergies to drugs like polymyxin, amikacin, paromomycin, streptomycin, zinc, gentamicin or kanamycin. Be sure to tell your doctor about your allergic history, especially any allergies to the components in this drug, so your doctor can determine whether neomycin and bacitracin is appropriate for you.
  • Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have a history of kidney or hearing problems.
  • Other antibiotic agents may interact with neomycin and bacitracin. Tell your doctor if you are taking other prescription or over-the-counter medications.      
  • Antibiotics like neomycin and bacitracin can cause resistance in bacteria if they are used too frequently or you stop taking them too early in your treatment. Be sure to use this medication for the entire prescribed period, even if your symptoms go away quickly.