What are facial fillers?

Facial fillers are treatments to help replace the volume in your face that is lost with age. These are injected into the lines and wrinkles in your face to plump them up and provide a more youthful look. There are several types of fillers available. These include:
  • hyaluronic acid
  • microspheres
  • calcium hydroxyapatite
  • poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA)
Facial fillers are appropriate for people who want to fill in facial wrinkles and folds. Dermal fillers may be used in other places such as hands and lips at a doctor's discretion. The filler is injected into your face, either within the skin or beneath the skin's layers. The procedure takes less than an hour. Some pain and swelling are likely initially. Most fillers now contain lidocaine to reduce injection pain.

Depending on the type of filler used and where it is injected, the treatment may last six to nine months, but some may last up to a year. The procedure is best done by a trained plastic surgeon or dermatologist.
Anthony S. Youn, MD
Plastic Surgery

Facial fillers are injectable substances that can plump up lips and fill in wrinkles. In this video, plastic surgeon Dr. Anthony Youn explains why today's fillers are better than the ones doctors used thirty years ago.

Dermatologist Dr. Heidi Waldorf explains what facial fillers are and how they work. Watch Dr. Waldorf's video for tips and information on cosmetic dermatology and skin health.

Susan Evans
Dermatology
Facial fillers are considered to be a type of “filler” that provide temporary to more long-lasting results that are injected into various areas of your face that work to reduce and eliminate wrinkles or augment certain parts of your face where you have experienced fat loss; areas like your lips and your cheeks.

Continue Learning about Dermal Fillers

What are wrinkle-filler injections?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
Wrinkle-filling injections have become incredibly popular. Last year, 1.4 million people had facial ...
What are types of injectable wrinkle fillers?
Botox is the best known injectable wrinkle filler, but there are several others that are also ap...
What Should I Know If I'm Considering a Wrinkle-Filler?
What Are Facial Fillers?
What Are Facial Fillers?