Should I be worried about the fatty lumps from Dercum's disease?

Dercum's disease is often characterized by the presence of fatty swellings on the body called lipomas. The lipomas are benign (non-cancerous) tumors that appear on the trunk of the body and on the limbs closest to the trunk such as the inner arms and upper thighs. Lipomas are dissimilar to other benign tumors in that they compress the body's nerves, causing serious pain that can be unbearable. The pain from lipomas can be concentrated in one area or spread throughout fatty tissue. Doctors can perform surgery to remove particularly painful lipomas. Talk to your doctor about treatment options if you discover these swellings.

Continue Learning about Dercum's Disease

Is exercise important for someone with Dercum's disease?
Although some people can contract Dercum's disease while maintaining a healthy weight, a majority of...
How do other illnesses affect Dercum's disease?
The most prominent illness associated with Dercum's disease is obesity. Although it is possible to c...
What is the rate of incidence for Dercum's disease?
Dercum's disease is a rare condition that affects a small fraction of people. The majority of people...
How can I avoid tissue damage if I have Dercum's disease?
People with Dercum's disease often experience tissue damage due to the presence of the fatty bumps c...