Does Dercum's disease affect children differently than adults?

The effects of Dercum's disease such as the fatty lipomas generally do not appear in childhood. These and other symptoms begin to appear in middle-aged adults, especially in postmenopausal women. Some research is being done to determine if Dercum's disease is hereditary because some cases of Dercum's disease have occurred in members of a family. Some researchers have even speculated that Dercum's disease can be passed down as a dominant trait, meaning that only one copy of a gene for a certain trait is necessary for the trait to manifest.

Continue Learning about Dercum's Disease

What is the duration of Dercum's disease?
Because little is known about what causes Dercum's disease, there is no known cure. The only treatme...
What do I need to know about caring with someone with Dercum's disease?
The best way to care for someone suffering from Dercum's disease is to provide them with loving supp...
Which activities can worsen my Dercum's disease symptoms?
The symptoms of Dercum's disease affect each person differently, so the best way to know what to avo...
How can I manage Dercum's disease on a daily basis?
Dercum's disease can involve intense pain that occur during daily activities such as opening a can, ...