What should I do if I think I am depressed?

Please seek a mental health professional. If you are not able to see someone quickly, go see your primary medical doctor so that you can be assessed for depression and referred to appropriate resources. Clinical depression doesn't "just go away" on its own and can worsen over time, so it is best to seek professional help as soon as possible. There is hope and treatment is available. 

First, talk to your health care provider. Tell your provider that you think you might be depressed. Your health care provider can help determine whether or not this is true, or refer you to a mental health professional for diagnosis and treatment.

The good news is that there is effective treatment. Research shows that both counseling, especially a form of counseling called cognitive behavioral therapy, and antidepressant pills work to relieve depression in most people who have diabetes. Not only that, people in these studies whose depression was resolved also had closer-to-normal blood glucose levels.

So if you think you are depressed, trust your feelings and seek some assistance. Treatment can make your life happier and healthier as well.

Continue Learning about Depression