What is the rate of incidence for depression?

It has been estimated that almost 7 percent of adults aged 18 or older in the United States suffer from depression each year. Depression affects one out of every 8 teenagers and one out of every 33 children. Women suffer from depression more commonly than men do. It has also been estimated that as many as one in three people who visit their doctor show signs of depression, though this estimate does not reflect the number of people who would have enough symptoms to qualify for a clinical depression classification.

Continue Learning about Depression

What Happens If I Stop Taking My Antidepressants?
Three American Olympic swimmers—Missy Franklin, Allison Schmitt and Michael Phelps—have spoken up about their battle with high-stakes depression in ho...
What emotions do people feel when they're depressed?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Depression carries with it some very intense and difficult-to-manage emotions. In addition to th...
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
It can aggravate pain and make heart disease and diabetes worse—and that’s just to start.
What Are the Risks and Side Effects Associated with Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?