What is pure depression?

Pure depression often results from excessive activity in the deep limbic system—the brain’s emotional center. This type of anxiety and depression is associated with primary depressive symptoms that range from chronic mild sadness (also known as “dysthymia”) to crippling major depression where it’s difficult to even get out of bed.

Continue Learning about Depression

He Feels, She Feels: How Depression Signs Differ in Men and Women
It’s commonly thought that depression affects women more than men. According to the World Health Organization, depression is about 70 percent more com...
What should I do if I think I am depressed?
SooMi Lee-Samuel, MDSooMi Lee-Samuel, MD
Please seek a mental health professional. If you are not able to see someone quickly, go see your pr...
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
It can aggravate pain and make heart disease and diabetes worse—and that’s just to start.
What Precautions Should I Take if I Want to Stop Taking an Antidepressant?