What should I eat if I'm caring for someone with depression?

When you're frazzled, you may turn to food for comfort. If you're not careful, this can lead to bad food choices, overeating, energy crashes, and resentment toward your depressed loved one. As a depression caregiver, it's important to make smart food choices to maintain energy and control your weight. Pair complex carbs that are high in fiber (e.g. beans and whole grains) with unsaturated fats (e.g. avocado, walnuts, or mixed greens with olive oil) to help maintain steady energy levels. Add lean protein, such as chicken or fish, and you have a meal.

Sesame seeds are full of magnesium -- a mineral that cells need to turn food into energy. Try sprinkling toasted sesame seeds on peanut butter toast; add them to trail mix, or toss a tablespoonful into a stir-fry or pasta salad.

Continue Learning about Depression