What should I avoid doing if a loved one has depression?

It's hard to see someone you care about going through depression. Here are a few don'ts:
  • Don't take your loved one's depression personally. You didn't cause it. You can't cure it. If a depressed person says something hurtful, keep in mind that they're suffering. They're prone to saying things they don't truly mean.
  • Don't ignore remarks about suicide or signs of worsening depression. Help your loved one by calling a doctor for advice.
  • Don't try to nag someone into feeling better. The more you tell someone what they should be doing, the worse they'll feel. Instead, give affection, encouragement, and compliments.
  • Don't do too much for your loved one. When someone's depressed, their self-esteem takes a nosedive. So don't "help" too much or take over too many responsibilities for them. If you do, they'll feel even more unproductive.
  • Don't let your loved one's illness consume you. No one will be helped if you become overwhelmed. Respect and value your own mental health first. You'll be a good model.

Continue Learning about Depression

Mental Health at Work: How One Tweet Changed the Conversation
You might not know Madalyn Parker by name, but you’ve likely heard of the email she wrote to her coworkers that was retweeted more than 16,000 times. ...
What is post-stroke depression?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Depression is considered to be a major hindrance to a successful recovery for stroke victims. An est...
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
The connection goes both ways for conditions like heart disease, diabetes and more.
How Do I Know If an Antidepressant Is Working?