What should I do if I suspect a loved one has depression?

Kathy Sowder
If you suspect a loved one is depressed, do a little research first to educate yourself on the sysmptoms of depression. Then you will be more prepared to talk with your loved one. Are they sleeping? Tired all the time? Not interested in things they usually like? Share your data of concern in a caring way. If they admit they are depressed, support them in getting help. Their physician  may do some testing to rule out physical problems, or may help with a mental health referral.
If you think your loved one is depressed, talk with him about it. Suggest that he see a doctor to rule out any physical illnesses that may be causing symptoms of depression, or that he talk to a mental health provider about how he is feeling. Offer to help your loved one find a licensed mental health provider.

Continue Learning about Depression

Myths and Facts About Electroshock Therapy
You might have heard of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), commonly known as electroshock therapy. If so, you probably have preconceived notions about w...
Why is depression so painful?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Depression is painful because it causes you to believe your worst fears about yourself and your ...
What is the difference between burnout and depression?
Many people may confuse the symptoms of burnout with depression, but depression and burnout have ver...
Keke Palmer’s Mother Discusses Being Her Manager