What should I do if I suspect a loved one has depression?

Kathy Sowder
If you suspect a loved one is depressed, do a little research first to educate yourself on the sysmptoms of depression. Then you will be more prepared to talk with your loved one. Are they sleeping? Tired all the time? Not interested in things they usually like? Share your data of concern in a caring way. If they admit they are depressed, support them in getting help. Their physician  may do some testing to rule out physical problems, or may help with a mental health referral.
If you think your loved one is depressed, talk with him about it. Suggest that he see a doctor to rule out any physical illnesses that may be causing symptoms of depression, or that he talk to a mental health provider about how he is feeling. Offer to help your loved one find a licensed mental health provider.

Continue Learning about Depression