What is the long-term prognosis for depression in veterans?

Most depressed patients who recover fully from the condition, without a recurrence, do so in the first three months to a year after beginning treatment. The more severe the depression, the longer it takes for recovery, and the more likely it is there will be a recurrence of the condition. About 25% of depressed veterans will continue to experience symptoms for months or years later. Once you have had a depressive episode, you are 50% more likely to have another one in the future. Older veterans and those in ill health generally have a poorer long-term prognosis for recovery from depression. Other factors that affect recovery rates are length of time before beginning treatment, alcohol use, income and marital stability.

Continue Learning about Depression

7 Ways To Beat Winter SADness
7 Ways To Beat Winter SADness
During the winter months, about 15 percent of Americans suffer from a mood disorder known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD symptoms are simil...
What can my friends do to help me with my depression?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Seek out friends who will stick by you and help you through tough times. Ask them for specific help ...
What are the symptoms of depression in men?
The symptoms of depression in men, which are similar to the symptoms of depression in women, include...
Should I Be Concerned About Overmedication with Depression Treatment?