How can what I eat affect my mood?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
You are what you eat -- right? We all spend lots of time in the dog food aisle reading labels to decide which food is best for Precious. We also need to watch what we eat! Think it doesn’t really make a difference? Well, new research published in the British Journal of Psychiatry found that diet was linked to depression.

Here's how diet and mood are linked:
  • People who eat high-fat, fried, high-sugar, and refined foods are
           more likely to be depressed.
  • People who eat a high amount of processed foods were almost 60%
           more likely to become depressed.
  • People who eat a diet rich in fish, fruits, and vegetables have a lower
           risk for developing depression.
  • People eating a diet high in whole foods were 25% less likely to
           become depressed.

Continue Learning about Depression

How to Tell the Difference Between Grief and Depression
Grief and depression have similar symptoms, but they are two totally distinct health events. Understanding the differences and similarities is crucia...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with clinical depression?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Severe sadness, as well as other emotions, have a halo effect over the fabric of social relationship...
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
The connection goes both ways for conditions like heart disease, diabetes and more.
What Does My Partner Need to Know About My Depression?