What role does my doctor play in treatment for my depression?

Your doctor is your best advocate in the fight against major depression -- especially if he or she works closely with you to monitor your symptoms and adjust your treatment until you find success. Once your doctor tailors a treatment plan for you, follow it to the letter. If after a time your plan isn't working, ask about adjusting it again. It may take a bit of trial and error before you and your healthcare team find the right mix of medication, self-care, and therapy for your depression symptoms, but with regular monitoring, you'll get there. If your depression symptoms worsen, interfere with your ability to function at work and home, or simply won't improve, see your doctor right away. Alert your doctor to any new mental or physical symptoms.

Continue Learning about Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Because it is a multi-faceted condition, treatment for depression is multi-faceted as well. Minor depression can often be treated with therapy and a few simple lifestyle changes, while chronic or major depression treatment can req...

uire medication in addition to therapy. In some severe cases, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be used. It's important to work with your mental health professional to determine which course of treatment for your type of depression is most appropriate.