What can I do so my antidepressant works as well as it can?

The goal of medication is remission of your depression, so you feel like yourself again. Here are things to do to self-manage this part of treatment:
  • Take your antidepressant medication daily.
  • Give the medication at least 2 to 4 weeks to start working.
  • Continue taking your medication, even after you feel better. Never stop taking your medication without first talking to your doctor.
  • Keep all follow-up appointments with your doctor.
  • If you have questions about your medication or its side effects, call your doctor or care manager.

Continue Learning about Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Because it is a multi-faceted condition, treatment for depression is multi-faceted as well. Minor depression can often be treated with therapy and a few simple lifestyle changes, while chronic or major depression treatment can req...

uire medication in addition to therapy. In some severe cases, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be used. It's important to work with your mental health professional to determine which course of treatment for your type of depression is most appropriate.