What are the treatment options for masked depression?

Masked depression is a complex emotional response that can be difficult, if not impossible, to prevent. Because it takes the form of indirect behaviors, the true source of the problem is obscured. It usually takes the appearance of symptoms for a person to even be remotely aware of the presence of masked depression.

The treatment options for masked depression are similar to those used for major depression. Depression is usually treated with a combination of medications and psychotherapy. Because masked depression may involve another medical condition such as substance abuse or alcohol abuse, those conditions may be treated as well.

Antidepressants are often used to treat masked depression. These medications affect the levels of certain types of chemicals in the brain. Different types of antidepressants may be tried, sometimes in combination, to find a drug regimen that works best with a particular person.

An alternative treatment for masked depression is the use of certain herbal remedies, most commonly St. John's wort. There is no clinical evidence that St. John's wort is an effective treatment, however. People who take St. John's wort or any other herbal remedy should make their doctor aware in order to consider possible drug interaction problems.

Continue Learning about Depression Treatment

News: FDA Approves New Drug for Severe Depression
People with severe, treatment-resistant depression have a long-awaited, new treatment option. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved th...
How can mindfulness help my depression?
Dr. Ronald SiegelDr. Ronald Siegel
Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT), which combines mindfulness practice with cognitive behav...
What if common depression treatments don’t work?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
If you find your depression treatments aren't working, there are several questions you should ask yo...
How Can a Psychologist Help Me Deal with My Anger and Depression?