Will the medication I am taking for depression affect my blood glucose?

Depression is more common in patients with chronic diseases like diabetes - up to 40% of people with diabetes may have depression at some point in their lives. Medications for depression have no major direct impact on how your oral diabetes medications or insulin work to control your blood glucose.

On the other hand, keeping diabetes management at the top of your list of things to deal with can seem impossible if you are depressed.

While there are many ways of dealing with depression, sometimes several months of treatment with medication can allow you to get back to being yourself faster. A vicious cycle can develop where high blood glucose makes you feel sleepy and as though you don't have enough energy to get out and exercise. The exercise would help bring the blood glucose down and make you feel better physically and mentally. Dealing with depression can break the cycle and put you back on track, eating right and exercising, to help you feel better all the time.

Continue Learning about Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Depression Treatment

Because it is a multi-faceted condition, treatment for depression is multi-faceted as well. Minor depression can often be treated with therapy and a few simple lifestyle changes, while chronic or major depression treatment can req...

uire medication in addition to therapy. In some severe cases, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) may be used. It's important to work with your mental health professional to determine which course of treatment for your type of depression is most appropriate.