How is social isolation related to depression?

Along with a loss of interest in pleasurable activities, depressed loved ones may also withdraw socially, refusing invitations from friends and family, or making excuses about attending social events, says Michael Garrett, MD, vice chairman and professor of Clinical Psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn. "A persistent period of diminished mood for more than a couple of days may be marked by social isolation—not returning phone calls or texts, or not being as involved in family activities or social gatherings as before." If depression is left untreated, social isolation can lead to an increase in depression symptoms, including deeper feelings of sadness, hopelessness and loneliness.

Continue Learning about Depression Symptoms

What are the physical symptoms of depression?
The causes of depression can be physiologic and/or psychological. Although we think of depression as...
How can feelings of worthlessness affect me if I am depressed?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
One of the most painful and disabling symptoms of depression is the feeling of worthlessness. Th...
What Is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and How Is It Used to Treat Major Depression?
Is Bipolar Disorder Hereditary, and If I Have It Should I Be Concerned About My Children?