What is the link between depression and sexuality?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Depression can dampen your sex drive. Brain chemicals that normally send blood to sex organs run low or become imbalanced in depression. This can lessen or stop sexual desire. In some cases, sexual pleasure is affected by the low level of chemicals in the depressed brain. Depression can also put stress on a relationship, making it even more difficult to maintain sexual intimacy.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

How can I exercise when I'm depressed?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
When you're depressed is when you need exercise the most, but it's also the time you least feel ...
Who Is a Candidate for Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) to Treat Depression?
What Are My Options for Depression Treatment?
Can Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Be Used to Treat Other Mental Health Conditions in Addition to Depression?