What indirect benefits of depression can stop me from healing?

An obstacle to finding the gifts of depression in your own life might be that there are secondary gains to being depressed. This means that you are rewarded for being depressed in some way. It may be that other people solve your problems for you because they want to protect you from too much stress. It may be that family members protect you from conflict because they don't want to make your depression worse. It may be that depression gives you an excuse for not having to go to work.

In some cases the secondary gains may be more subtle. Some clients have discovered that by being depressed they gain the sense of showing abusive parents how miserably they failed at being parents. Depression can be a way of saying to bad parents: "Look how miserable I am, you must have really messed up as a parent." The best way to prepare for this obstacle is to examine if you are receiving any benefits from being depressed. If you find that there are rewards for staying depressed, you should ask yourself if those rewards are worth the price of staying depressed.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.