What are mantras for depression?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
The cloudy, depressed mind responds well to short, emphatic and personally tailored phrases you can use in specific situations to put an end to depressive thoughts.

I call these 'depression mantras'. I've used them for years even with my severe depression.

You can work on specific mantras that resonate with your depression. This is not about positive thinking or changing a thought pattern. Instead, it’s about creating phrases that directly address the depression and cut through it like a knife.

You are then jolted back into reality and can make a decision from the real you.

Here are a few mantras I use:
  • Depression doesn’t want me to get anything done today, but I can get something done. I am stronger than depression.
  • Just keep going, Julie. It’s just depression. What matters is that you start something and then go from there. Keep going Julie.
  • Beds are for sleeping. I get out of bed in the morning and I don’t get back into bed until it’s time to sleep tonight. Beds are for sleeping. I am getting out of bed now. Beds are for sleeping. My day starts now.
  • I don’t have to feel good to be with the people I love. I can be with them and listen to them and enjoy their company even when I’m depressed. I will be a part of life
  • I’m not listening to you (depression.) You are not my boss. Go away now!
  • Focus. Focus. Focus. Come on Julie! Focus!
  • Leave me alone!
  • I always do my best. My best is what I can do. Depression makes it hard, but I always do my best. Good for you Julie!
Mantras are the non-depressed you talking to the depressed you.

Mantras can be stronger than depression and get you going and keep you going throughout the day.

You can have more control over depression.
Get It Done When You're Depressed

Get It Done When You're Depressed

Shake the blues away. Everyone knows that depression can lead to guilt, sadness, frustration, and in the case of 15-20% of people with depression, suicide. Because we live in a culture that rewards (and often worships) productivity, when a depressed person can't meet the expectations of society, the depression becomes worse and a vicious cycle begins. The goal of Getting Things Done When You're Depressed is to break this cycle. Readers will learn: • How to prepare yourself mentally for working while depressed • How to structure your environment so you can work more easily • How to work with others • How to prevent depression

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.