What are the benefits of sadness?

Unlike depression, which can be debilitating, sadness has a positive function. Because sadness arises after an emotional event or a loss, it causes us to be introspective and take stock of our lives. Sadness can spur us to revise certain aspects of our lives. It also has social value by signaling others that we need help.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

How to Help Loved Ones Facing Depression
It's hard to watch a loved one struggle with major depression, and even tougher when your attempts to help are pushed away. Unfortunately, people with...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with depression?
It is important to understand that depression is an illness and not a weakness or character flaw. Le...
How can changing the way I think and act help me with my depression?
When things don't go as planned, your initial reaction may be to give up. Instead of giving in to pe...
Will I Need to Take an Antidepressant for the Rest of My Life?