How can I stop saying no to things if I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
In the movie Yes Man, Jim Carrey decides to stop saying no, and to say yes to any proposition that crosses his path. Although we don’t recommend saying yes to literally everything, to practice saying yes to every reasonable invitation that comes along is an excellent exercise. This means saying yes to someone who asks you out on a date, even if you’re not necessarily interested in that person, or saying yes to a friend who suggests a spur-of-the-moment road trip. It even means saying yes when your hiking group schedules a hike in a beautiful area but you have to get up earlier than you like to do on a weekend. For many depressed people, saying no is almost on autopilot. Over the next few weeks, whenever you feel the knee-jerk reaction to say no, stop for a moment and consider saying yes, just to do something different. As one saying puts it, “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.”
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression