How can I have more satisfying social interactions if I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
There is often an interpersonal component to depression. You may be feeling so bad that you interact with others in ways that discourage bonding. For example, you may speak softly, avoid looking into the other person’s eyes, be uncomfortable with normal physical contact, such as putting your hand on someone’s shoulder to indicate sympathy, and be more likely to talk about negative or depressing topics. You may then interpret others’ lack of interest or empathy as rejection, which can lead to negative self-criticism, such as “People hate me” or “I can never get along with anyone, so there must be something wrong with me.” Thoughts like these, of course, make you feel worse and thus less interested in interacting with others, leading to more “rejections.”

If you find that this is happening in your life, you’ll need to interrupt this cycle by paying attention to how you interact with others, and by practicing the type of interpersonal skills that communicate to other people that you are open, interested, sympathetic and that you have a positive outlook.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Major Depressive Disorder and Stress
Major Depressive Disorder and Stress
Without some stress, we'd be little more than slugs (minus the motivation to do the things that enrich our lives), but too much stress can affect our ...
How can I communicate better with my partner if I have depression?
Dr. Marsha LucasDr. Marsha Lucas
  Depression takes a toll on a relationship. In this WisePatient video, neuropsychologist Marsha Lu...
How can I view my depression as a gift?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
This exercise will guide you through developing your own ideas about how depression may offer you so...
What Is the Link Between Anxiety and Depression?