How can I handle difficult emotions if I am depressed?

An obstacle that can prevent you from finding the gifts of depression is to be phobic of your emotional life. Many of the gifts that emerge from depression are the capacity to feel more deeply and a more wide range of emotions. In some case studies, the capacity to feel angry and set boundaries were some of the gifts that emerged from a depression. Alternately, the capacity to want to connect with others, to feel tenderness can be one of the gifts that emerge from a depression. Each emotion must be felt to be used as a guide in re-directing your life. The best way to confront this obstacle is to prepare your self and expect to confront emotions that are uncomfortable. By understanding that the gift is in the emotion and by reminding yourself that you will not drown in your emotions, that you always be able to find a way out, you will be preparing yourself for this potential obstacle.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.