How can I handle difficult emotions if I am depressed?

An obstacle that can prevent you from finding the gifts of depression is to be phobic of your emotional life. Many of the gifts that emerge from depression are the capacity to feel more deeply and a more wide range of emotions. In some case studies, the capacity to feel angry and set boundaries were some of the gifts that emerged from a depression. Alternately, the capacity to want to connect with others, to feel tenderness can be one of the gifts that emerge from a depression. Each emotion must be felt to be used as a guide in re-directing your life. The best way to confront this obstacle is to prepare your self and expect to confront emotions that are uncomfortable. By understanding that the gift is in the emotion and by reminding yourself that you will not drown in your emotions, that you always be able to find a way out, you will be preparing yourself for this potential obstacle.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Depression Caregiver Support
Depression Caregiver Support
Caring for a family member or friend with major depression (also called clinical depression, major depressive disorder, or MDD), can be rewarding, but...
How can people with depression use body language to socialize effectively?
Dr. John Preston, PsyDDr. John Preston, PsyD
You may be feeling so bad that you interact with others in ways that discourage bonding. Here are so...
How can I practice socializing if I'm depressed?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
To practice socializing, use a full-length mirror or a sympathetic and trusted friend, or both. ...
What Types of Mental Activity Can I Do to Help Manage Depression?