How can I handle criticism when I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
It’s common for people with depression to simply accept all criticism, either explicit or implied, while rejecting all compliments. If you find yourself buying into criticism without question, take the time to analyze the critical comment. Ask yourself, “Is this statement 100 percent accurate? If not, what isn’t accurate about it? What’s the other side of this criticism?” Also, consider the source of the criticism. If it comes from someone who doesn’t support you, consider that the criticism might be a reaction to you living in line with your own values -- values that the critical person doesn’t share. Is it possible that the person is trying to cause you shame or pain? If so, how does this affect the validity of the criticism?
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression