How does depression affect the way I eat?

Laura Katleman-Prue
If there were a hit parade of the top reasons for overeating, anger, depression, and sadness would be right up there, along with boredom. If depression had a voice, it would say, "Everything is hopeless. What's the point of living?" Its energy is deadly, obliterating every ray of hope in its path. For the ego, the way out of depression is to distract itself with immediate pleasure. The ego's Child (pleasure-seeking impulses) says, "The only thing that would make me feel halfway decent is food. What do I have to lose anyway?" So, reaching for food when depression strikes becomes as predictable as the sun rising each morning. After all, stuffing your depression with sexy pleasure food is the path of least resistance. But you know what it has to offer: a fleeting, nice taste in your mouth and hell to pay afterwards.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...
John Preston, PsyD
Often people with depression don’t eat very well. You might find yourself snacking mostly on junk food or foods high in carbohydrates or fat, and you might find that you don’t feel motivated to shop and cook healthy foods. Since foods high in carbohydrates often provide a temporary elevation in mood, many depressed people choose these foods as a way to try to feel better. Some people with depression stop eating much at all. But your brain needs the right kinds of nutrients in order to function well, so one way to begin to feel better is to make sure you eat right.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Major Depressive Disorder and Exercise
Major Depressive Disorder and Exercise
Exercise is prescribed for a wide variety of health conditions–from heart disease to diabetes. Science shows that being active can improve your physic...
How can I take care of myself and a depressed loved one?
To support your loved one who is depressed, help her with seeking resources and professional car...
How can I cope with feelings of worthlessness if I am depressed?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you are feeling worthless and depressed, try this exercise: Take note the next time you feel wo...
Who Is a Candidate for Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) to Treat Depression?