How can I accept my mistakes when I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
We all make mistakes, both small and large. If you find that you’re berating yourself endlessly after every mistake you make, try reframing it. On a separate sheet of paper or in your journal, describe the mistake you made, then explore your mistake by writing about it in these contexts, or simply reflect on these issues in your mind:

- Own the mistake. Take responsibility for it or for your part in it. Be honest with yourself and own only that part of the error that is your direct responsibility.

- Make amends or apologize if you have done something that you regret. Consider how you might have behaved differently. Did you have information that could have changed your response or decision? Or given what you knew, did you actually behave in a reasonable way?

- Consider who else might be implicated in the situation. Ask yourself, “Am I really the only one to blame?”

- Ask yourself, “What can I learn from this mistake that can help me not repeat the same mistake in the future?”
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.