How can I accept compliments when I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
It can be difficult to accept compliments, especially when you’re feeling bad about yourself. You might find yourself negating compliments, either out loud or in your head. The next time you receive a compliment from someone, see how it feels to just say thank you, and to allow the compliment sink in. Take a moment to accept as fact that the person really believes what he or she just said to you, regardless of how you might feel about it. Resist the impulse to say (or to think), “Thanks, but…” or “Well, actually, that’s not true because…”
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.