Can an online group help me meet people if I'm depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
There are thousands of online social groups whose members have regular face-to-face meetings, and there are user-maintained interest groups hosted by Google and Yahoo. Just type “Yahoo groups” or “Google groups” into your web browser and follow the links to find hundreds of groups based on shared interests.

Try this exercise. Find one or two online sources for interest groups, then search for groups of people who share your interests. For example, if you love to see all the new movies, search for “movies.” If you’d like to play more tennis, search “tennis.” At first, just so you won’t feel overwhelmed, limit yourself to three or four highly active groups, meaning the group has more than one hundred members and they appear to schedule regular, well-attended outings. Then commit to attending the next outing or event that each group organizes. Make sure you attend at least two events before giving up on a group. Sometimes the people who attend may not be suitable (if you’re sixty, you may not be comfortable hiking with a group of thirty-year-olds), but it’s hard to know that for sure on your first impression. Give each group at least two tries, but if you decide a group isn’t right for you, go ahead and look for another one that might be more to your liking.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Major Depressive Disorder and Stress
Major Depressive Disorder and Stress
Without some stress, we'd be little more than slugs (minus the motivation to do the things that enrich our lives), but too much stress can affect our ...
How does depression affect self-esteem?
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhDDr. Lara Honos-Webb, PhD
Low self-esteem can cause you to allow your life to go off track and lead to depression. Perhaps you...
If I'm depressed, what questions should I ask a potential therapist?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Questions you might want to ask a potential therapist include:   - Do you have experience treating...
Will I Need to Take an Antidepressant for the Rest of My Life?