How can a chronic illness affect my risk for depression?

Depression has often been referred to as a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. Therefore, it is not a surprise that depression is the most common complication of almost all chronic or serious medical conditions. Research has shown that depression often causes changes that can worsen a medical condition and reduce the needed energy necessary to cope with changes and treatment schedules, creating a vicious cycle of worsening physical and emotional symptoms.
Serious illness such as heart disease, diabetes or cancer sends some into depression. First the medications required can cause hormonal changes that effect mood. If the disease prevents you from eating and exercising optimally, negative moods can descend as well. Most of all, however, the onset of serious illness can cause a level of stress, fear and sadness that affects even the most upbeat. Anti-depressant medication can help you face the challenges that lay ahead. Check with your doctor to make it safe to take the mood medications with your other medications.
Erika Schwartz, MD
Chronic illnesses are very often the cause of depression. The risk for depression is high in people diagnosed with chronic illness. To avoid adding another diagnosis to your chronic disease, you must focus on finding a good support group that does not focus on negative issues and work with physicians that do not scare you into getting depressed. Family and friend support are also key and a good therapist may be what the doctor ordered for you to work out the issues associated with the diagnosis of a chronic illness.

Continue Learning about Depression Complications

How does depression affect the body?
Depending on the case, depression can have a mild to severe affect on the body. Depression may lead ...
How does depression affect sleep?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Insomnia is frequently a problem for veterans with depression. Insomnia is so commonly associated wi...
Does Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Cure Depression, or Would I Need Ongoing TMS Treatment?
How Does Exercise Help Treat or Manage Depression?