Are mothers of a chronically ill child more likely to become depressed?

It’s not surprising that the parents of chronically ill children are often sad and upset about their child, but one study found that many moms display symptoms of severe depression and need some respite from their duties to decompress the pressure they feel as overloaded parents. The researchers examined 365 mothers whose children had a variety of conditions, such as asthma, sickle cell anemia, and heart disease. Symptoms of depression were high in the group as a whole, and 20 percent of the mothers felt that being a parent dominated their lives and restricted their freedom. More than half (59 percent) said their children were limited in their daily activities because of their illness. Researchers said that therapists and educators need to help mothers deal with feelings of anger and resentment.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Depression Causes & Risks