What are the risks of getting immediate dentures?

The risks in the immediate denture process involve both surgical and prosthetic.

As with any extraction, there is the risk of such things as pain, swelling, infection and prolonged bleeding.

With an immediate denture there may be post-delivery discomfort and uneven bite that may take time and/or several visits to resolve. Also, as with any denture there is a period of adapting to the new denture and learning to wear, eat and speak with it. You were not born to wear a denture; it is unfortunate that it is needed and time is required to get used to it.

Since the front teeth usually cannot be evaluated in the mouth, you may find that you are not completely delighted with the appearance. This may be the situation even when it is a major improvement over the pre-immediate denture appearance. In such instances you may desire to have a second denture made after complete healing to fine tune the esthetics. This would also allow you to have a spare denture, something that is very nice to have.

Continue Learning about Dentures

Will I need a root canal if I'm going to get complete dentures?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
If you don't plan on keeping the tooth then a root canal isn't something you will need. (By way of e...
What is the difference between upper and lower dentures?
Romesh NalliahRomesh Nalliah
An upper denture is able to get good suction by adhering to the palate in the upper jaw. In the lowe...
What daily oral care will I need if I have dentures?
Caring for your mouth is just as important when you have dentures as it is when you have all your na...
Why do dentures need to be fixed or replaced?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Over time, dentures can break and teeth can pop off. The jaw can shrink making the dentures less wel...